Thursday, April 8, 2010

Industrial Training Day 4 & 5

DAY 4 - 8 April 2010
It's was a very quiet day today. All the supervisors and the project team had meetings to attend to. Firstly, it was with the JKR people. Then later that evening they had a coordinators meeting. So basically I was left on my own. After going through some drawings and plans, I decided that since I had nothing else to do, I'd start on my report. Well, at the end of the day, I manage to finish 2 parts of the report. So at least I did get something done for the day.

DAY 5 - 9 April 2010
I accompanied the M & E engineer along with the mechanical consultant to the site for inspection and testing. But before I go on, although I'm majoring in electrical engineering, the work here also includes mechanical aspects. Therefore, throughout my internship here, not only will I be exposed to the electrical aspects of construction, but at the same time exposed also to the mechanical side of it as well. So for today, the inspection done was mainly on the sanitary plumbing system. As can be seen below, the M & E engineer goes along with the consultant to inspect the work done before further work is carried out.

After the inspection was done, they carried of the testings. The first test was the leakage test. Basically, it's to check if there are any leakage within the pipe itself. One end of the pipe is blocked. Water is then poured into the pipe until it's filled up. The water level is then marked. After about 2 hours, the water level is checked again to see if there is any decrease. If there is not, then the pipe has passed the test. If there is a decrease in water level, then further inspection needs to be carried out to determine where the leakage is.


The second test carried out was the flow test. Its purpose is to make sure that there is a steady flow in the pipes that lead out into the manhole via the gully trap. For this test, water is poured into one end and the flow is monitored at the other end.


No comments: