Sunday, October 5, 2008

Movie Review: Mamma Mia-The Movie

There has been a lot of talk about the show. At first I wasn't sure what the whole big talk was all about. All I knew was that prior to this movie, Mamma Mia was a musical stage performance on broadway. From the title of the show, I knew it had something to do with the song "Mama Mia" by the pop group ABBA. So, on Friday, after sending my sister of at KL Sentral, I decided to drop by MidValley. My sister had suggested to me to watch "Eagle Eye", but I was more interested in finding out what this Mama Mia movie was all about.

Apart from Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan and Collin Firth, the other cast members are relatively unknown. Even the co-lead actress Amanda Seyfried, is somewhat unknown to the movie world. But I bet this movie will definately jump start her movie carrier.

The movie started of with the opening song "I Had A Dream". Amanda Seyfried plays Sophie, a 20 year old girl about to get married on a Greek island. Her mom, Meryl Streep, owns and runs a hotel on that island. However, being the "wild" girl her mother was, Sophie doesn't know who her father is. Cut the story short, this movie tells about how Sophie finds out who her real father is to walk her down the isle.

This movie would be a good one to catch if you're into musicals. Even more if you're into oldies songs especially songs by ABBA. Though it may seem, "old" but rest assured, the directors and cast have really manage to integrate the songs into modern day situations. The songs sang really go along with the plot of the movie. It's amazing how the script writers, directors and musicians were able to produce such a movie. Along with humour and dancing, in my opinion, this movie is way better than High School Musical. It doesn't have all the "Boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, someone tries to ruin the love" kind of thing. The plot is straight forward but with funny and interesting situations. If you've seen "Grease", then I recommend this movie to you.

Rating wise, out of 10, I give it a 10 for music and dance, 8 for the plot, characters 9 and understandibility 9. So on average, the show rate a 9.

I really recommend this as a first date show. It'll really be a good ice-breaker for the "couple". And I reckon you'll enjoy it.

So go watch it.

No comments: